Sunday, January 10, 2010

We Were The Mulvaneys



I think I'm going to need to try to slow down my reading...this was a 500 page book and I finished it...couldn't put it down, as is the case with any book I read. I have a feeling this is going to be a long post...so I apologize in advance!

This book...wow. I don't even know how to begin describing it. I love books that even after all the words are read and the book closed, my brain still works to take it all in. This book did that...but it just left me...sad! After I finished it, I sat just thinking of everything I wish the characters would have done differently.

We Were The Mulvaneys is the story of a family. A beautiful family they were, a loving mother and father named Mike and Corrine. They first had two sons, Mike Jr. and Patrick, followed by a daughter named Marianne. Lastly was Judd, the narrator of the book.

The book starts out painting the perfect family picture of the Mulvaney's. A successful, hardworking and happy father, a loving mother, three well rounded boys, and sweet daughter. They live on a farm with over 20 animals of all kinds. They were a close knit family, always working together. They spent their time maintaining the farm together, and dinnertime was familytime. They were involved in their community, always having people over and their house was always loud and busy.

Then one night something tragic happens to Marianne that would shake them all. The rest of the book is the fall of the Mulvaneys. Once Marianne's incident happened, the whole family started unraveling, separating, and falling apart. I won't say how it ends of course, only that I wish it had ended differently.

When I read a book, I always put myself in the character's position. I try to see if I would react the way that any of the characters had. In this book...I can say I woud have reacted completely different. I had the most trouble with the father, Mike Mulvaney Sr. I don't want to give too much away though, in case anyone is going to read it.

I believe through all trials and tribulations a family should stick together. No matter if someone is at fault, which Marianne wasn't. Family is family and I could never see turning my back completely on any of them. Moreover, if there was a "falling out" of some sorts...eventually I would want everything to be worked out. I would work towards that. To think that some people don't strive for that is just unnerving. This book just reiterated to me how important family really is. Most importantly...that you can never give up on them. Ever. As naive as it seems, I believe that everyone deserves a happy ending.

There is so much I could say about this book, but I don't want to give any of it away!! Really though, I'm dying to speak my mind about a few characters and the vile way they were treated in this book. I could never imagine treating a family member that way nor would I wish that on anyone. Things will happen within a family that are horrible. No matter what though, nothing should be enough to tear a family apart.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. That sounds so depressing!!!! But I am completely intrigued. What challenge was this book for (or was it for one?)
    I would have to look up a plot synopsis cause I hate surprises! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was for the 451 Challenge. It just made me mad and sad!! If you do read it let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get really upset with books that don't end with some sort of hope for the future. I can handle sad in the middle, or even at the end, as long as they leave me HOPE for joy to come later.
    I'm not sure if this one will make the list...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey! did you ever post this to the 451 challenge site? You should, I think they do a drawing every month, right?

    ReplyDelete